http://www.ibnlive.com/news/patil-begins-innings-with-talk-of-inclusive-growth/45591-3.html

Patil begins innings with talk of 'inclusive growth'

ibnlive.com

New Delhi: India's new President Pratibha Patil has favoured a
sustained economic growth that should be socially inclusive and called
for empowering women.

"Our combined endeavour should be to ensure that the rate of economic
growth is sustained and it is socially inclusive," Patil said in her
address at the Central Hall of Parliament shortly after she was sworn
in the country's 13th President.

President Patil described herself as the Republic's first servant and
said her sincere endeavour would be to live up to the high
expectations of the people who chose to elect her as President.

Remembering Baba Saheb Ambedkar — the father of Indian Constitution —
Patil said she draws inspiration from him. "I am inspired by Baba
Saheb Ambedkar," she said, adding that she considers upliftment of the
poor as a "scared duty".

Noting that India stood at the threshold of a new era of progress and
was moving at an 'historically unprecedented' rates of growth, Patil
said: "It should be our combined endeavour to sustain this growth and
ensure that it is socially inclusive."

She said it should be ensured that every section of the society,
particularly the weak and the disadvantaged, are equal partners in an
beneficiaries of the development process.

"We must also ensure that every region of the country participates in
and benefits from the process of economic growth," Patil said.

The first woman President said empowerment of women was particularly
important to her as she believed that it leads to the empowerment of
the nation.

"We must banish malnutrition, social evils, infant mortality and
female foeticide," she said while expressing her full commitment to
the protection of child rights.

Asking the people to wage a relentless campaign against poverty,
ignorance and disease for a better future of the children, she said:
"We must show wisdom and foresight in protecting our planet and our
children, for the good of all living species and future generations."

She said she was committed to the cause of education and would like to
see every person to be touched by the light of modern education.

"We must ensure that science and technology serve our needs better,
and help us develop a scientific temper that will unleash the full
potential of our people, our farmers, our workers, our professionals
and our entrepreneurs," she said.

She said the people of the country desire better governance, faster
development and a life of peace and security. "We must all stand
united in the fight against such divisive and destructive tendencies
as communalism, casteism, extremism and terrorism," she said.

Earlier, Patil was administered the oath of office as the country's
first woman President by Chief Justice of India KG Balakrishnan at a
function in the Central Hall of Parliament House.

The function was attended by a host of VVIPs, including outgoing
President APJ Abdul Kalam, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Lok Sabha
Speaker Somnath Chatterjee, Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman K Rahman Khan,
UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Union ministers, former prime minister
Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Opposition leaders, governors, chief ministers
and members of the diplomatic corps.

A 21-gun salute was accorded to Patil after she was sworn-in as the
country's 13th President. She solemnly affirmed by the oath, which she
took in English.

A string of ceremonial drills kickstarted the process to usher in the
new President. A senior military official knocked at the doors of the
residence of President-elect Pratibha Patil to escort her to the
Rashtrapathi Bhavan.

The Military Secretary to President, Maj Gen Vinod Chopra, arrived at
Patil's 9 South Avenue residence in the backyard of the Presidential
Palace on Wednesday afternoon. He invited Patil and her spouse Devi
Singh Shekhawat to the Rashtrapati Bhavan.

A large number of people had gathered at the residence to greet her
before her departure for the Rashtrapathi Bhavan.

(With PTI inputs)

--
Subscribe to ZESTCaste by sending a BLANK email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] OR, if you

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: