'Caste discrimination cause of suicide'

http://www.indiapress.org/gen/news.php/The_Hindu/400x60/0

Special Correspondent

'Anti-Dalit attitude' led to IISc student's extreme step, say parents and SSD

SSD inquiry found that some professors were harassing Dalit students

IISc denies discrimination and says independent report is due

Bangalore: The suicide of Ajay Srichandra, a Ph.D. student of the
Indian Institute of Science (IISc) on July 28, was a result of
caste-related harassment, the Dalit boy's parents and members of
Samata Sainik Dal (SSD) have alleged.

Speaking to presspersons here on Tuesday, M. Venkataswamy, President
of SSD, said that they would hold a protest in front of IISc on
September 28 against the "anti-Dalit attitude" of some professors in
the institution. Mr. Venkataswamy said that Ajay, a student of
integrated Ph.D., had not committed suicide in his hostel room due to
depression as made out by the police. Members of SSD had conducted an
independent inquiry and found that some professors of IISc were
harassing and discriminating against Dalit students, he added. B.
Chennakrishnappa, Bangalore District President of SSD, said that other
students were in the know about it but were not willing to openly
admit it.

Ajay's father Ravindra Kumar, who was also at the press conference,
alleged that his son's suicide note had been tampered with. "I was
first told that my son had written a suicide note running to two or
three pages. But some pages had been removed by the time I reached
here from Hyderabad," he alleged. SSD has demanded that criminal cases
be booked against professors and an independent inquiry conducted into
the case by University Grants Commission.

An official at IISc told The Hindu that "there appears to be no
harassment of any kind". The institute has formed a committee to look
into the matter, the official said. "A committee was formed
immediately after the death of the student. The independent report
should be coming through in a few days."