http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/They_deserve_to_die_says_Krishnaiahs_wife/articleshow/2426940.cms

They deserve to die, says Krishnaiah's wife
4 Oct 2007, 0143 hrs IST,SUSHIL RAO,TNN

HYDERABAD: "They deserve the punishment. No mercy should be shown to
murderers," said Uma Krishnaiah, wife of Gopalganj district magistrate
G Krishnaiah who was lynched by a mob 13 years ago.

Uma, who now lives in government quarters at Kundanbagh in Hyderabad
with her two teenaged daughters, had tears in her eyes when she
recalled the fateful day on December 5, 1994, when her husband was
killed. "Being the son of a labourer and a Dalit, Krishnaiah was
committed to welfare of the poor. He did not deserve to die. Even if
the guilty appeal to the President on the death sentence, it should
not be entertained," Uma said.

A chemistry lecturer at Government Degree College, Begumpet, Uma
wasn't even aware that the case was in progress until she read about
it in the newspapers a couple of days ago. "I cannot get my husband
back, but this judgment should deter powerful politicians or ruffians
from killing simple people," she said.

On the fateful day, Krishnaiah woke up early, at around 3.30 am, to go
to Muzaffarpur for a meeting. When Uma saw him walk out of the house
without wearing warm clothes in the peak of winter, she asked him to
take a sweater. But he refused saying, "You should think about the
poor who have no clothes. At least I have clothes to wear."

"When he was leaving, I asked him to return home early, if possible,"
she recalled. Later, she came to know what happened to her husband.
"He pleaded with his killers to spare his life as he had two young
daughters. But they didn't listen. They killed him for no reason," Uma
said.

Krishnaiah and Uma got to know each other during their student days in
Government Degree College at Gadwal in Mahbubnagar. "He wanted to make
a mark in life. His main concern was to clear the IAS. Also, he wanted
to marry me and as my father was not encouraging, he pledged that he
would come back to him only after achieving something," Uma recalled.

Soon after Krishnaiah's death, Uma took up a job. One of her daughters
is pursuing engineering and another is in college. "Though I want them
to get into the IAS, they aren't interested," she said.