http://www.hindu.com/2007/10/04/stories/2007100452940400.htm

New Delhi

'War' launched for uplift of poor

Special Correspondent

Janhit Seva Sangathan for time-bound programme to eradicate poverty

CHANDIGARH: Janhit Seva Sangathan, a social organisation, on Tuesday
launched a "Second War of Independence" to liberate the poor and the
downtrodden from the clutches of the "exploiters".

In a statement here, Janhit Seva Sangthan president and former Haryana
Minister K.R. Punia said that even though his organisation does not
work for a particular caste or creed or even religion, it was a harsh
reality that people belonging to the Scheduled Castes, Scheduled
Tribes and Other Backward Classes form the lowest rung of society and
are being criminally exploited by the rich and the powerful.

He said his organization was not interested in a change in Government;
it wanted a change in the attitude and perspective of the political
and the administrative leadership so that the destitute could benefit
economically.

"We are not targeting any one particular group or sect, but our goal
is the uplift of the poor and Dalits through education and social
mobilisation….We will create such a pressure group of enlightened
citizens that the Government is forced to bow to the wishes of the
people. Today we take a solemn oath and declare that the Sangthan will
continue to fight for the rights of the Dalits and the poor and that
the struggle will continue till the goal is reached," he added.

Dr. Punia said the prime objective now was to bring about such a
revolution at the grassroots levels, a mobilisation of the
under-privileged masses that no matter which party was in power, they
would have to be pro-people and pro-poor.

The organisation had constituted core committees to identify families
living below the poverty line in various districts of Haryana, he
added.

He demanded that the Government announce a time-bound 10 year
programme to eradicate poverty and identify those living in abject
poverty so that BPL ration cards could be issued to them without
bureaucratic obstacles. Right to work should be declared a fundamental
right and the Government should either provide employment or an
unemployment allowance, he added.

--
Subscribe to ZESTCaste by sending a BLANK email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] OR, if you

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: