Deconstructing the Mahamantra  
 
By Khushwant Singh, The Deccan Herald, January 14, 2006

http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanherald/jan142006/editpage
 
Some weeks ago, I asked readers to enlighten me on the exact 
connotation of the word swaha which appears at the end of many 
mantras including the opening line of the Gayatri Mantra- "Om bhur 
bhuwa swaha". I received hundreds of letters, booklets, etc, from 
all over the country explaining what the word stood for. I was happy 
to note that so many people were eager to know what the prayer meant 
than simply repeat it parrot-wise without knowing what they are 
reciting. 

Many readers who had scholastic credits attached to their names were 
of the opinion that the first line quoted above was in fact not a 
part of the Gayatri Mantra. I can scarcely believe that because 
every text I have seen has this line as well as every casette. 
Millions of Hindus who chant it every day always begin with it. So 
it is right and proper to include it. 

Om and the Lord 

The word Om (often spelt Aum) has no English equivalent. It is 
mystic, a sonorous sound to still the mind from wandering. I don't 
know any better way of doing so than chant a long-drawn Hari Om in 
silence. Both Buddhists and Sikhs have taken its derivatives - Hom 
Mani Padme hom (Buddhists) and Ek Omkar (Sikhs). Also, both equate 
it with God. So it is legitimate to use the word God for Om. Bhur 
stands for earth, Bhuwa for the sky or heavens. Swaha is an 
exclamation of wonder. Some readers wrote to say that in the Gayatri 
it is Swah and not Swaha. It is uttered when ingredients like sesame 
seeds, rice, etc, are tossed into the yagna fire (agni) because 
Swaha was the wife of Agni. I prefer to use the word as an 
expression of awe, wonder and acclaim. I translate the opening line 
as follows: Om, Lord God, Creater of the earth and heavens, hallowed 
be your name. 

The second line Tat (that) Savitur (the sun), Varenyam (desirable) 
should follow the first line as something to ask for as in a prayer, 
I translate it thus - "You who makes the sun rise at dawn and gives 
light and life to all things, infuse our beings with hope of 
enlightenment." The third line Bhargo (the purest), devasya (gift of 
God), Dhimayi (object of meditation), I render as "Lord grant us the 
power to cleanse our minds of dross and make them pure." 

The fourth and last line reads Dhiyo (intellect) Yoh (who) nah (our) 
prachodyat (inspire). In simple words: "Lord, inspire our minds to 
perform noble actions." 

I sum up my second attempt to translate the Mahamantra: "Om, Lord 
Creator of the earth and the heaven, hallowed be your name. You, who 
makes the sun rise at dawn and gives light & life to all things, in 
fuse our beings with hope of enlightment. Lord, grant us the power 
to cleanse our minds of dross and make them pure. Lord, inspire our 
minds to perform noble actions." 

Readers are welcome to point our errors and suggest improvements. 









--
This is ZESTGlobal. Post articles on international affairs to 
[email protected]

If you got this mail as a forward, subscribe to ZESTGlobal by sending a blank 
mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] OR, if you have a Yahoo! ID, by visiting 
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTGlobal/join/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTGlobal/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 


Reply via email to