AN ICON AND HER CULT 
- Liberalism, and the lady with the cigarette holder  

Ashok V. Desai | The Telegraph | September 12, 2006

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1060912/asp/opinion/story_6637660.asp



When I was young, Nehru was my hero. He was an enchanting speaker 
and a great communicator, and I was quite under his thrall. So I 
went through school and college without entertaining any doubts 
about nationalization and commanding heights.

My first brush with socialism came while I was a student abroad. I 
had come to India for a visit. At that time, exchange control 
required one to surrender all one's foreign exchange when one 
entered India, which I dutifully did. Exchange control allowed one 
to buy £8 at the airport when one left the country, which I did. I 
reached London in the morning, and happily spent the day going 
around the city. In the evening, I went to King's Cross to take a 
train to Cambridge, and found that the last train had left. I no 
longer had enough money for a hotel, so I walked for miles looking 
for a cheap enough place to spend the night. I finally got a room in 
the YMCA at Tottenham Court Road. Next morning, I no longer had 
enough money to take a train to Cambridge. So I got some pennies and 
started ringing up friends. Finally, I found a friend's wife; she 
said she was going to get her weekly wage that afternoon, and would 
lend me enough if I went to her office at 5 PM. I trudged around the 
city the whole day. I walked into her office at the appointed time 
and took the money. I reached Cambridge that evening, famished but 
no longer destitute.

That experience cured me of my love for socialism. When I returned 
to India and started doing economics, I found many more instances of 
the hardships visited upon people by socialism. Analysing them gave 
me a livelihood.

That is how I began to make a case for liberalism. But I had no 
ideology; in my own eyes, I was only applying common sense. "Well, 
what do you know about that! These forty years now, I've been 
speaking in prose without knowing it! How grateful am I to you for 
teaching me that!" said Monsieur Jourdain to his philosophy teacher 
in Moliere's The Bourgeois Gentleman. Somewhat in the same way, I 
have been a liberal most of my life without knowing it. It just 
happened that I made my living in socialist India, and my economics 
enabled me to get much entertainment out of the government's 
stupidities. If that was being liberal, I did not mind.

Then in his brief liberal phase, Manmohan Singh picked me up to help 
with decontrol. That brought me a little fame. Liberalism soon went 
out of fashion in the government, so I left the government. But 
outside, liberalism grew in popularity, and so did I. That is when I 
came across other liberals and became aware of liberalism as an 
ideology.

I had read Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged, and enjoyed its broad canvas 
and epic quality. But it never struck me that it had an ideological 
message. I had an impression that she had begun to write in the 
1930s, when I was born. That made her ancient; just like John 
Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath, her fiction appeared vintage to me. 
It was only when I met other liberals in the 1990s that I realized 
what an icon she was amongst them.

Ayn Rand had quite an eventful youth. She was born Alissa Zinovievna 
Rosenbaum in St Petersberg in 1905, the year in which Japan 
inflicted a painful defeat on Russia. She lived in Russia through 
World War I and the Bolshevik Revolution of 1917, and graduated in 
philo- sophy from the University of St Petersburg. In 1926, she 
escaped to the US. She went to Hollywood and got a job as an extra 
in Cecil B. DeMille's King of Kings. Then she hung around doing 
backroom jobs in studios. There she met Frank O'Connor — the actor, 
not the Irish writer — and married him in 1929. In 1934, they moved 
to New York.

In New York, she started to write seriously. Although she had been 
in the US for a decade, her early years in Soviet Russia weighed on 
her. She wrote a novel about life in Russia called We The Living in 
1936; next year she wrote a dystopia — a nightmare of a collectivist 
future — called Anthem. Neither did well in the States. Then in 
1943, she wrote The Fountainhead — the story of an architect who 
defended his integrity against odds and eventually won. That novel 
finally struck a chord, and presumably brought some prosperity to 
Ayn Rand, for she and her husband moved to Los Angeles in 1943. It 
was made into a film starring Gary Cooper and Patricia Neal in 1949.

In 1950, she met Nathaniel Blumenthal (who later renamed himself 
Branden), coming straight out of college, who became her principal 
acolyte. They soon moved to New York, and he became her lover with 
the consent of the spouses of both. She set up an office in the 
Empire State Building and he his Nathaniel Branden Institute in the 
basement. There he would hold forth on the philosophy of Ayn Rand. 
Leslie Hanscom wrote in Newsweek in 1961, "After three hours of 
heroically rapt attention to Branden's droning delivery, the fans 
were rewarded by the personal apparition of Miss Rand herself — a 
lady with drilling black eyes and Russian accent who often wears a 
brooch in the shape of a dollar sign as her private icon..."

It is too late to meet Ayn Rand, for she died in 1982. But she has 
quite a following; and as her readers will testify, her philosophy 
has considerable appeal. If you want to learn more about it, Barun 
Mitra of Liberty Institute has brought out a useful little 
introduction [Ayn Rand at 100, ed Tibor Machan, Pragun Publishers (D 
K Publishers Distributors), Rs 175], containing essays by her most 
prominent followers about her philosophy and influence. It offers a 
quick way of getting acquainted with her thought.









--
This is ZESTGlobal. Post articles on international affairs to 
[email protected]

If you got this mail as a forward, subscribe to ZESTGlobal by sending a blank 
mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] OR, if you have a Yahoo! ID, by visiting 
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTGlobal/join/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTGlobal/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTGlobal/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply via email to