Asia in the World

Ban Ki-moon* | Taipei Times** | 06 December 2007 

http://www.asiasociety.org/pressroom/oped_ban_kimoon.html


Before I became the UN's Secretary-General, I was an Asian diplomat.

While I was foreign minister of the Republic of Korea, my Government 
and I strongly advocated détente with the North. When some in the 
world called for sanctions and punitive action, South Korea pushed 
for dialogue. That requires listening as well as speaking. It means 
sticking to principles, but also attempting to understand the other 
side, however irrational or intransigent it may sometimes appear.

This remains my style at the United Nations. I believe in the power 
of diplomacy and engagement. I prioritize dialogue over debate or 
declaration. Above all, I seek results.

We are doing that now in Myanmar. My Special Adviser, Ibrahim 
Gambari, has been back in Yangon. His brief is to be the honest 
broker, the facilitator of a dialogue between government and 
opposition leaders, particularly Aung San Suu Kyi. The goal is for 
Myanmar's Government to release all detained students and 
demonstrators, engage with the opposition, move toward a more 
democratic society, and rejoin the international community. 

This brand of diplomacy is not quick or easy. There is seldom 
applause, and often no outward evidence of movement. It is a quiet, 
painstaking slog behind the scenes. You have to work the phones, 
cajole world leaders to do this or that. It is a symphony—often not 
a very harmonious one—of small steps that you hope will lead to 
something greater.

You expect nothing. You can only keep trying, keep pushing. Maybe it 
works, maybe not. Then you try some more, in a different way, aiming 
all the while for some small progress that makes the next step 
possible.

We are at this point in Darfur. I have spent hundreds of hours 
working behind closed doors with various parties to the conflict—
Sudan's Government, rebel leaders, neighbouring countries, and 
African Union partners. Meanwhile, we are pushing ahead with one of 
the most complex peacekeeping operations in our history, feeding and 
protecting hundreds of thousands of displaced people, and sponsoring 
difficult peace negotiations in Libya.

But even as I push my brand of "Asian" diplomacy, it can sometimes 
feel a bit lonely to be an Asian at the international community's 
diplomatic roundtable.

We Asians inhabit the world's largest continent, with the world's 
largest population and its fastest-growing economies. We have a rich 
history and ancient cultures. Yet our role in international affairs 
is far less than it could, or should be.

Asia's contribution to the UN, though significant, could be greater. 
Its humanitarian assistance, to put it politely, is less than 
generous. We are the only continent where regional integration and 
common markets have not taken hold.

Latin Americans and North Americans dream of creating a free-trade 
zone. Europeans speak of building a United States of Europe. The 
African Union aspires to become a United States of Africa. Why no 
United States of Asia?

There are many reasons why is Asia different: history, cultural 
diversity, unresolved territorial and political disputes, a lack of 
multilateral experience, and the predominance of one or two centers 
of power. But the main reason is that we have not tried.

Asia does not do itself justice. As an Asian Secretary-General, I 
hope to see this change. I hope to see an Asia that is both better 
integrated and more internationally engaged.

I expect particularly great things of my fellow Koreans, a 
remarkable people who have come into their own. I hope to see Korea 
assume more responsibility in the world, commensurate with its 
growing economic clout—especially in the area of development, one of 
the three pillars of the UN Charter. Koreans need to step up, speak 
out, and do more, and that should start with more generous official 
development assistance.

Koreans have already shown their penchant for multilateral diplomacy 
and trouble shooting through the six-party talks. Now, they, and 
Asians at large, need to bring both their skills and their success 
to bear on the most pressing global issues of the day.

This is not just my hope, it is also Asia's obligation.

*Ban Ki-moon is Secretary-General of the United Nations. This 
article is adapted from his address to the Asia Society, New York, 6 
November 2007.

**In cooperation with Project Syndicate, 2007.


Reply via email to