Vidya, I am posting a sample poem from Anne Hartigan's
collection "Nourishment". But before scrolling down, do read about the
collection. Best regards, Rumjhum

Nourishment
Poems by ANNE LE MARQUAND HARTIGAN

June 2005
Nourishment celebrates the feasts, and mourns the fasts, of deep
sexual love. Essential nourishment indeed: for this is what it is to
be fully human, to rejoice in the radiant dance of one's body with
another's, and to sing soul unto soul. Anne Hartigan's work has always
been acutely tuned to the sacredness of the sensual. Her rhythms
spring from the page, re-inventing themselves with echoes of chants
and prayers and charms. These poems reinvent and rewrite the erotic
before our eyes, and 'rinse and wring the ear' with their rare
emotional intelligence and compassion. Catherine Byron

In Nourishment Hartigan explores the possibilities of love, sex and
desire. The age-old association of food and sexuality is inscribed
with the sacred connotations of a "holy sin", a private ritual that
encompasses physical and emotional healing as well as the creative
possibilities of words rooted in bodily experience. Love is both
constructed by the social and unquestionably ruled by the needs of the
individual. Hartigan's poems accomplish the difficult task of writing
about love without ever falling prey to sentimentality. At times
purely physical, at times deeply in love, her voice contributes to the
dismantling of old-fashioned conceptions of female sexuality. These
poems are a treat for the senses and present Anne Hartigan as
undoubtedly one of the most talented voices in contemporary Irish
poetry. Luz Mar González Arias, Universidad de Oviedo, Asturias, Spain

About the Poet
---------

Anne Le Marquand Hartigan is an award winning poet, playwright, and
artist. This is her fifth collection of poetry. Her many awards
include the Open Poetry Award from Listowel Writers' Week, The Mobil
Playwriting Award for her play The Secret Game, and awards for her
visual art. Her poetry has been translated and included in anthologies
worldwide and Anne has enjoyed the experience of reading her poetry
internationally. She performed La Corbiere at the Samuel Beckett
Theatre, Dublin, as a solo work in 1996. Of her five full length
plays, Beds and La Corbiere were premiered at the Dublin Theatre
Festival. Her work has been performed in the USA, New Zealand,
Lebanon, and at the Edinburgh Festival. Her wide ranging work includes
radio, a silent mime, prose, and her recent humorous poetry for
children.

Title Poem from "Nourishment"
---------

Nourishment

Because I have lain on your deep Africa
Gorse light and dusty cinnamon, burnt umbers
You drank deep of my waters north and south,
Arising dripping, a dark god. Knowledge of interiors.
How simple to exchange continents, to play so easily
A classic music.

Child's play, intricate and private, allowing love space
To move in. A sacred grove, rowan, ash, laurel
To cast and shed spells. This enchantment is as natural
As the moon. This is the first touch. Shock: your unknown
Face, skin. I roam in ochres, duns, siennas, gifts
Spread before me on the white cloth. This is the necessary
Air and water, the bread my mouth waters for, it can go on.

--- In ZESTPoets@yahoogroups.com, vidya anjali <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--
You are encouraged to post poetry, respond critically to the poems circulated
and participate in discussions. To post, email your message to