Well, the pleasure is all mine! Actually in college, we have an
overdose of Shakespeare in the syllabus and I was tired of writing
the same old crappy criticisms all the time. I attempted this piece
of writing on your poem for two reasons

1) I wanted to assure myself that I can afterall respond to a
contemporary poet with equal sensitivity or perhaps more
sensitively...

2)Your poem had substance; there was something worth commenting
upon...

for that matter I feel all poets on ZEST are very good. Wish I could
compile an anthology of ZESTpoets and write more such pieces of
writings on them all. It should be an exercise worth the effort.

a small request: PLS DO READ ME ON MY BLOG
http://vidyanjali.blogspot.com. I'm quite amatuerish only (not so
pucca as you are!)yet would like to receive some feeedback...

Ciao,
Vidya.

--- In ZESTPoets@yahoogroups.com, Vivek Narayanan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Dear Vidyanjali,
>
> Thank you for this, it is very sharp and also raises important
cautions and
> critiques.  It's a lot for me to think about, and as you know well
the poet
> tries to feel one's way into what she/he is doing, suspending
critique in
> between writings and rewritings, sometimes learning the value of
things in
> retrospect, so may not even be the one who is best equipped to
answer these
> questions...  But let me reread your piece a couple more times--
I'll have

*
> [...]
particularly
> > interested in the ancient ritual of cleansing that symbolized the
cleansing
> > of one's conscience too. He would only like to demystify the
whole event- so
> > as to open, as well as end, this act of baptizing, this act of
the man
> > cleansing himself- through his poetry.
> >
> > Yet there really can be nothing perplexing about a man cleaning
his foot
> > in a bathroom and the poet fabricates the whole event so as to
mystify the
> > circumstance. I wonder if the man had not objected to the poet
peering into
> > the bathroom, and curiously observing him washing his feet or
maybe the poet
> > just caught a glimpse of this man in the act and then carried in
his mind
> > impressions of the event and wrote about it. The poet manages to
make the
> > best of the "irregularly regressing details" that he captures:
> >
> > "…his flared/ boots worn thin, // and their flaps, twisted, /
stiff at
> > oblique angles; his jeans darkened/ below the knees and corroded/
in
> > streaks; or his yellow cap/ which still bore, monogrammed/ in
green, the
> > cheerful hieroglyph of a former/ employer…"
> >
> > The above lines are an exemplary example of word-painting in
poetry. The
> > poor quality of the boots worn by the man and his darkened jeans
> > substantiate the wretchedness of the man's situation. But the
poet does not
> > get subjective at this moment by showing concern for the
condition of this
> > man, like what Wordsworth does in "The Solitary Reaper" upon
hearing the
> > reaper hum a tune to herself. He has already said this with
regard to his
> > endeavour of decoding this ritual,
> >
> >  "…How I try/ and do not matter."
> >
> > The concluding stanza is the best. The poet as per his intentions
decodes
> > this ritual by means of a rather vivid imagery. The blistered
foot of the
> > man is "a fat, brown eel, / against the porcelain…" a stunning
comparison.
> > The rest of it goes thus,
> >
> > "…the purple/ wash of blood returning,/ veins aligning, in
branches under/
> > the chipped-bark skin/ of the image of the foot of this man, who/
with tap
> > water and coarse hands was trying/ to make his body feel."
> >
> > He stretches the metaphor in further describing the bloody foot
of the
> > man. The baptism is an effort to make the body feel; the body
which has been
> > benumbed due to the exacting rigors of life…
> >
> > This poem can at best be considered to be a snapshot of an event.
The poet
> > has convinced readers that even a small and negligible event such
as
> > watching a ragged man wash his bloody feet can inspire poetry.
The effective

http://in.messenger.yahoo.com

> > --
> > You are encouraged to post poetry, respond critically to the poems
> > circulated and participate in discussions. To post, email your
message to
> > ZESTPoets@yahoogroups.com OR post online at

t=ms&k=Writing+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+child+book&w3=Book+writ
ing+software&w4=Writing+poetry&w5=Business+writing+book&w6=Writing+and
+publishing+a+book&c=6&s=151&.sig=XWWAWZyHOtbBv61yEFebNg> Writing
> > child book<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
t=ms&k=Writing+child+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+child+book&w3=Boo
k+writing+software&w4=Writing+poetry&w5=Business+writing+book&w6=Writi
ng+and+publishing+a+book&c=6&s=151&.sig=4hohbfcCnc9NIE08iDOurA> Book
> > writing software<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
t=ms&k=Book+writing+software&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+child+book&w3=
Book+writing+software&w4=Writing+poetry&w5=Business+writing+book&w6=Wr
iting+and+publishing+a+book&c=6&s=151&.sig=CYZlQi6QxV-7KjBeolXSpg>
Writing
> > poetry<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
t=ms&k=Writing+poetry&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+child+book&w3=Book+wr
iting+software&w4=Writing+poetry&w5=Business+writing+book&w6=Writing+a
nd+publishing+a+book&c=6&s=151&.sig=Ruxpqo7148hRLmeJDVRCoQ> Business
> > writing book<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
t=ms&k=Business+writing+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+child+book&w3=
Book+writing+software&w4=Writing+poetry&w5=Business+writing+book&w6=Wr
iting+and+publishing+a+book&c=6&s=151&.sig=SSG9I24cU7WmGWAwjZm33Q>
Writing
> > and publishing a book<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
t=ms&k=Writing+and+publishing+a+book&w1=Writing+book&w2=Writing+child+
book&w3=Book+writing+software&w4=Writing+poetry&w5=Business+writing+bo
ok&w6=Writing+and+publishing+a+book&c=6&s=151&.sig=mgETMWOg46NlS4iqehb

> >     [EMAIL PROTECTED]<ZESTPoets-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]>