Because I'm not sure I can make the meeting this week, I wanted to
recapitulate some of what I've suggested before that didn't make it into
the last minutes. I would like to see a role for artists in the process of
information gathering that might be analogous to the Island Institute's map
or the digital library but in visual, layered form. The concept goes
further than simply locating information or depicting it because my
interest is in seeing the cumulative impacts of degradation or
alternatively, restoration. Paul Schroeder called this work "visionary
mapping". At the Wood's Hole meeting I displayed a large poster developed
with geomorphologist Irwin Novak, based on work with Michele Dionne from
Wells NERR to demonstrate how this might begin to look. This is not an
illustration project but it might illustrate the application of GOMINFOEX.
I did send an attach file of a recent installation at USM that went further
than the poster but I gather not all could open it. If I come to the
meeting, I'll bring prints from that. I'm now working on a more ambitious
mapping installation for the Center for Maine Contemporary Art, in which I
will be working to incorporate and interpret as much of the research data
on the GOM and it's relationship to other geomorphic features as possible.
It was suggested at Wood's Hole that various small institutions or small
grants might be worth investigating. It is my experience that each
installation I do is quite costly and I can't present without financial
support which these small institutions don't have. The small grants that
might be available are already earmarked for small parts of the work that
goes into something this large. I am going to look into a larger grant but
had hoped to partner in some way with GOMINFOEX as a source of data or even
collaboration. There is a chance of interest, based on recent trips to New
York, from both the Rockefellar and the Ford Foundation. I would welcome
any thoughts from the group that might help make this possible.