On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 10:59:56AM -0700, Johan Eliasson wrote:
> I seem to be in that very situation right now. Trying to mirror the
> rpool on my new SuperMicro X7SBA mobo, I have two 320GB SATA-disks. No
> matter what I do I seem to get the EFI label complaint....  I
> installed the system on the first disk and tried to mirror it to the
> second: EFI!
>
> I installed the system on the second disk and tried
> to mirror it to the first: EFI!  Well.. still reading up and trying
> fixes...

The main point is you *cannot* have an EFI label.  That means that you
must have a normal fdisk Solaris partition, and a slice that is the same
size as the other disk's.  To do this,  do:

# zpool status rpool
config:

        NAME          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        rpool         ONLINE       0     0     0
          c5t0d0s0    ONLINE       0     0     0
# format -e c5t0d0
format> fdisk
                                               Cylinders
      Partition   Status    Type          Start   End   Length    %
      =========   ======    ============  =====   ===   ======   ===
          1       Active    Solaris2          1  60800    60800    100

   6. Cancel (exit without updating disk configuration)
Enter Selection: 6
format> partition
format> print
Part      Tag    Flag     Cylinders         Size            Blocks
  0       root    wm       1 - 60797      465.73GB    (60797/0/0) 976703805
  1 unassigned    wm       0                0         (0/0/0)             0
  2     backup    wm       0 - 60797      465.74GB    (60798/0/0) 976719870
format> quit
format> quit
# format -e c6t0d0              # the new disk
format> fdisk
                                               Cylinders
      Partition   Status    Type          Start   End   Length    %
      =========   ======    ============  =====   ===   ======   ===
          1                 EFI               0  60801    60802    100

SELECT ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
   1. Create a partition
   2. Specify the active partition
   3. Delete a partition
Enter Selection: 3
Specify the partition number to delete (or enter 0 to exit): 1
Are you sure you want to delete...: y
Partition 1 has been deleted.
Enter Selection: 1
Select the partition type to create:
   1=SOLARIS2  2=UNIX        3=PCIXOS     4=Other
   5=DOS12     6=DOS16       7=DOSEXT     8=DOSBIG
   9=DOS16LBA  A=x86 Boot    B=Diagnostic C=FAT32
   D=FAT32LBA  E=DOSEXTLBA   F=EFI        0=Exit? 1
Specify the percentage of disk to use for this partition
(or type "c" to specify the size in cylinders). 100Should this become the active
partition? If yes, it  will be activated
each time the computer is reset or turned on.
Please type "y" or "n". y
Enter Selection: 5
format> partition

Then make the partition table match the partition table for the original
disk we printed up above. and then do:

format> label
format> quit
format> quit