The first thing I tried was 128 bit additions of 64 bit quantities.  The
problem is that it doesn't run any faster than fletcher4 on a 32 bit machine,
and fletcher4 on 32bit machines is almost 7 times slower than fletcher2.

I did some further testing, and fletcher2 does not look as bad as in my last
estimate - no single bit error detection failures in my tests. I have confirmed
failures where two 64 bit MSBs are flipped.  I expect an error detection
failure when any even number of 64 bit MSBs in the same vertical stripe are
flipped from what they should be.

With "fletcher8", I have yet to discover any dual bit failures and I don't
expect any.