On Sep 20, 2007  06:09 -0700, Matthew Ahrens wrote:
> Andreas Dilger wrote:
> >>I agree, but I suspect large dnodes could also be of use to ZFS at
> >>some point, either for fast EAs and/or small files, so we wanted to
> >>get some buy-in from the ZFS developers on an approach that would
> >>be suitable for ZFS also.  In particular, being able to use the larger
> >>dnode space for a variety of reasons (more elements in dn_blkptr[],
> >>small file data, fast EA space) is much more desirable than a Lustre-only
> >>implementation.
>
> I thought we were just talking about increasing the potential bonus buffer
> size.  So it is no different than the problem you have today: you need to
> encrypt the bonus buffer part of the dnode_phys_t, but not the rest of it.

Well, CFS is only immediately interested in fast XATTR storage using a
larger dnode bonus buffer.  However, I thought it might be worthwhile to
discuss using the dn_blkptr[] array itself for fast small file/symlink
storage at the same time.  It might be too hard to change that at this
time, and I won't shed a tear if that is the case, but it is worth some
thought.  Bill mentioned you had already tried something similar, so we
might discount that idea pretty quickly.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Principal Software Engineer