Hi there,

I've run into a ZFS problem, and have checked through the bugs database but
failed to find anything that quite matches the problem I'm seeing.

On mounting a ZFS filesystem (two-disk RAID set, mostly compressed), before
anything even accesses the filesystem, the machine's memory usage spikes and
eventually locks the machine up entirely. The behaviour is reproducible,
insofar as it happens without fail whenever I boot up normally, rendering the
machine unusable. Booting in failsafe mode, I can import the pool (without
mounting the filesystems) without a problem, but mounting the filesystems
causes the problem.

The system is an nv_38, so I tried a Nexenta Alpha 7 live CD (I can't recall
how old the kernel is in that release, but certainly newer than nv_38) and
reproduced the problem with that, too. I also tried an Indiana CD, but that
completely failed to boot at all.

I'm aware that nv_38 is quite old and is likely to contain problems that have
already been addressed, but looking through the bugs database, I can't find any
record of an issue that sounds quite the same, so I thought it might make sense
to ask if this sounds familiar to anyone before I attempt a newer Nevada.

Many thanks,
--
C.