On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 10:36:15AM +0000, Darren J Moffat wrote:
> Jeff Bonwick wrote:
> >For the benefit of our friends at Apple, BSD, etc -- it would be
> >good to keep the super-simple software implementation of SHA-256
> >available as an #ifdef.
>
> Sure, I'll arrange the #ifdef that way.
>
> This is however going to be a big problem for Apple and BSD when we add
> crypto support though because they don't have the same crypto APIs that we
> have (since there is no
> standard API for in kernel crypto).

Will it be possible to design ZFS crypto API which will hide internals
of OS-specific in-kernel crypto API? There is opencrypto API in
FreeBSD's kernel on which I worked quite a bit, so I could help with
design. You can find more info about opencrypto here:

        http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=crypto&sektion=9&format=html

The good thing is that we probably need very simple API for ZFS.