Apologies: I've just realised all this talk of "I've booted off of ZFS" is
totally bogus. What they've actually done is booted off Ext3FS, for example,
then jumped into loading the "real" root from the zpool. That'll teach me to
read things first. This is indeed a pretty ugly hack.

The only obstacle, as I see it, to getting *real* RAIDZ /  RAIDZ2 boot support
is adding the requisite code for reading the zpool into Grub. There was also
some discussion that on some systems, the ZFS grub plugin would be unable to
reliably access large numbers of disks due to BIOS bugs / limitations on x86.

This begs the question: does Sun have a version of the ZFS Grub plugin that
*can* read (however un-reliably) from a RAIDZ pool?

Cheers

Andrew.
--
This messages posted from opensolaris.org