Hello

I'm looking into the forensic artefacts of ZFS and came across zpool.cache
in /etc/zfs/. Can some wise person confirm my information is correct and help
me with some questions? I've had a look through the code on
src.opensolaris.org and the On Disk specs (the PDF document ZFS On-Disk
Specification) but haven't found the answers yet.

Many thanks for your help

Mark

INFO

* ZFS has a legacy mode where mounts are handled by /etc/vfstab or a default
mode where pools are automounted by ZFS. If you use /etc/vfstab and switch
off the automatic mount at boot, the ZFS partitions won't be touched unless
manually mounted.

* zpool.cache appears to be a record of the creation, maintenance and
destruction of ZFS pools (spa_config.h).

* According to spa_config.h and libzfs_config.c, zpool.cache is part of the
SPA layer, made up of nvlist  objects.

* spa_history.c mentions a history log ring buffer where the creation and
subsequent actions to an SPA object are recorded.

QUESTIONS

* Can someone confirm whether the info above is correct?

* How persistent is the information in zpool.cache after zpools have been
destroyed?

* I'm still looking for a C-struct type definition of the zpool.cache records.

* Are there any *other* records left on the host regarding the
creation/maintenance/destruction of a ZFS file system?

* Where does the SPA history log land on-disk? Is it the zpool.cache of the
host, somewhere else on the host or part of vdev label / ZFS file system?

* "ZFS On-Disk Specification" is described as a draft, dated 22 August 2006.
Is there anything more recent available?