On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 06:08:41PM +0100, Darren J Moffat wrote:

> >There is an open bug where userland code that reads labels (namely
> >import) should also checksum the values.  These are always written using
> >ZIO_CHECKSUM_LABEL (currently SHA256).  However, this would not leverage
> >the same ZFS checksum code so it's probably not an issue.
>
> I'm not quite sure I understand that last sentence, do you mean that the
> checksum verification on import would happen in kernel rather than in
> userland ?

No, it would happen in userland.  But your original question was whether
the "ZFS checksum code" would be run in userland.  In this case, we're
not leveraging libzpool or any of the zio checksum code.  Rather, we
would be creating a one-off checksum validation for the purposes of
label verification.  So we do need the ability to validate SHA256 in
userland, but it doesn't have to be in the context of the normal ZFS
checksum code, nor does it have to support the full suite of checksum
algorithms.  Assuming the vdev labels aren't going to be encrypted, of
course.

- Eric

--
Eric Schrock, Solaris Kernel Development       http://blogs.sun.com/eschrock