My current code for encryption/decryption uses zio_buf_alloc() in
zio_encrypt_data() and zio_buf_free() in zio_read_decrypt().

I've just found a test case where the ASSERT in zio_buf_alloc() tripped.
  This happened because of the additional 16bytes of CCM auth tag I need
in the ciphertext buffer.  Note that I'm not writing that to disk and
the buffer size gets "adjusted" later.

I think I have an alternate solution to my problem and the above is just
for some background.

Can I use plain kmem_alloc() for the data used in the
zio_push/pop_transform() or must the data be allocated with
zio_buf_alloc() ?

--
Darren J Moffat