On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 05:17:43PM +0200, Constantin Gonzalez wrote:
> But you're right in that my desired functionality can "easily" be
> implemented
> with scripts. Then I would still argue for including this functionality as
> part of the ZFS user interface, because of ease of use and minimization of
> possible errors for the administrator. If it ain't simple to use, chances
> are that people won't. Same goes for snapshots: If admins don't have a
> really
> easy way to get rid of them, chances are they will use them less.

I've some scripts that do something like this (snapshot current, delete
all older snapshots, without forcing it, thus clones keep snapshots
alive).

Now, the thing about implementing expiration dates is that dealing with
time in shell scripts can be pretty painful -- it'd be nice if zfs get
had better time formatting options.

Nico