Thanks. I'm playing with it now, trying to get the most succinct test.
This is one thing that bothers me: Regardless of the backend, it
appears that a delete of a large tree (say the linux kernel) over NFS
takes forever, but its immediate when doing so locally. Is delete over
NFS really take such a different code path?