Richard Elling wrote:
Anyone who is really clever will easily get past a quota, especially
at a university -- triple that probability for an engineering college.

I studied Computing Science at Glasgow University (Scotland) the department policy was NOT to use disk quotas. This was on SunOS 4.x so it was possible. What they did instead was used a separate filesystem (actually NFS server but thats not so relevant here) for each year of students plus one more for staff and postgrads. Each student year filesystem had a shared area that was world writable and a home dir for every student.

How did we manage diskspace hogs ? Peer pressure, once things got above about 70% or so the admins would send out weekly reports on who was hogging diskspace.

On the other hand we DID have a printer quota system that limited how much use we could make of the laser printers because that did cost money. Of course we found various ways around about that!

--
Darren J Moffat