Robert Milkowski wrote:
The problem is that with stronger compression algorithms due to
performance reasons I want to decide which algorithms and to what
files ZFS should try to compress. For some files I write a lot of data
even if they are compressing quite good i don't want it - too much CPU
would be consumed. However for other files in the same data pool I
know we do not write them that often so compression for them would be
useful (and cheap in terms of CPU).

This is exactly the reason I don't want the applications running as a normal user to be able to turn on more expensive compression algorithms if the administrator of the data set has explicitly not turned on compression.

I think there are three possible modes here:

1) No compression ever.
2) Current behaviour
3) New: Best effort from ZFS (ie current behaviour) with hints from application on the data eg, don't bother trying this is an MP3.

--
Darren J Moffat