Darren J Moffat wrote:
James Dickens wrote:

Hi

I think ZFS should add the concept of ownership to a ZFS filesystem,
so if i create a filesystem for joe, he should be able to use his
space how ever he see's fit, if he wants to turn on compression or
take 5000 snapshots its his filesystem, let him. If he wants to
destroy snapshots, he created them it should be allowed, but he should
not be allowed to do the same with carol's filesystem. The current
filesystem management is not fine grained enough to deal with this. Of
course if we don't assign an owner the filesystem should perform much
like it does today.

Yes we do need something like this.

This is already covered by the following CRs 6280676, 6421209.

These RFE's are currently being investigated. The basic idea is that an adminstrator will be allowed to grant specific users/groups to perform various zfs adminstrative tasks, such as create, destroy, clone, changing properties and so on.

After the zfs team is in agreement as to what the interfaces should be, I will forward it to zfs-discuss for further feedback.

  -Mark