On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 02:46:32PM +0200, Robert Milkowski wrote:
> btw: what differences there'll be between raidz1 and raidz2? I guess
> two checksums will be stored so one loose approximately space of two
> disks in a one raidz2 group. Any other things?

The difference between raidz1 and raidz2 is just that the latter is
resilient against losing 2 disks rather than just 1. If you have a total
of 5 disks in a raidz1 stripe your optimal capacity will be 4/5ths of the
raw capacity of the disks whereas it would be 3/5ths with raidz2. Consider
however that you'll typically use larger stripes with raidz2 so you aren't
necessarily going to "lose" any capacity depending on how you configure your
pool.

Adam

--
Adam Leventhal, Solaris Kernel Development       http://blogs.sun.com/ahl