Andrzej Butkiewicz wrote:
Thanks Mark!

I see that writing part of filesystem block reduces performance. Especially in
Raid-Z because we have to read all spread on every disk blocks. Does ZFS have
any kind of blocks aggregation?

I suppose that could be work on this way: zfs receive a command to write part
of the block, e.g. last 8kB in 32kB block. Next, instead that read-modify-write
we write modify information into the cache and wait for next modification of
this block. If any next write-command will fill all parts of the block we will
could write whole block without reading it.

Why I'm asking? I'm very interesting in which implementations Raid-Z will have
better
performance than Raid-5. And which way I must improve my applications to obtain
better
performance with ZFS? (constant writing blocks??)

If performance is really this critical to you Raid-Z is probably not the correct choice.

Can you actually prove that this aspect of ZFS is actually causing a performance problem for you or are you making assumptions ?

--
Darren J Moffat