On Jun 16, 2006, at 11:40 PM, Richard Elling wrote:

Kimberly Chang wrote:
A couple of ZFS questions:
1. ZFS dynamic striping will automatically use new added devices when there are write requests. Customer has a *mostly read-only* application with I/O bottleneck, they wonder if there is a ZFS command or mechanism to enable the manual rebalancing of ZFS data when adding new drives to an existing pool?

cp :-)
If you copy the file then the new writes will be spread across the newly
added drives.  It doesn't really matter how you do the copy, though.

She raises an interesting point, though.

The concept of shifting blocks in a zpool around in the background as part of a scrubbing process and/or on the order of a explicit command to populate newly added devices seems like it could be right up ZFS's alley. Perhaps it could also be done with volume-level granularity.

Off the top of my head, an area where this would be useful is performance management - e.g. relieving load on a particular FC interconnect or an overburdened RAID array controller/cache thus allowing total no-downtime-to-cp-data-around flexibility when one is horizontally scaling storage performance.

/dale