Hello Peter,

Wednesday, June 28, 2006, 1:11:29 AM, you wrote:

PT> On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 17:50, Erik Trimble wrote:

PT> You really need some level of redundancy if you're using HW raid.
PT> Using plain stripes is downright dangerous. 0+1 vs 1+0 and all
PT> that. Seems to me that the simplest way to go is to use zfs to mirror
PT> HW raid5, preferably with the HW raid5 LUNs being completely
PT> independent disks attached to completely independent controllers
PT> with no components or datapaths in common.

well, it will give you less than half your raw storage.
Due to costs I belive in most cases it won't be acceptable.
People are using raid-5 mostly due to costs and you are proposing
something worse (in terms of available logical storage) than
mirroring.

--
Best regards,
 Robert                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]