Jeff -

That sounds like a great idea...

Another idea might to be have a zpool create announce the 'availability'
of any given configuration, and output the Single points of failure.

        # zpool create mypool a b c
        NOTICE: This pool has no redundancy.
        Without hardware redundancy (raid1 / 5),
        a single disk failure will destroy the whole pool.

        # zpool create mypool raidz a b c
        NOTICE: This pool has single disk redundancy.
        Without hardware redundancy (raid1 / 5),
        this pool can survive at most 1 disks failing.

        # zpool create mypool raidz2 a b c
        NOTICE: This pool has double disk redundancy.
        Without hardware redundancy (raid1 / 5),
        this pool can survive at most 2 disks failing.

It would be especially nice if it was able to detect silly
configurations too (like adding dimple disks to a raidz or something
like that (if it's even possible) and announce the reduction in
reliability.

Thoughts? :)

Nathan.