Richard Elling wrote:

> Dana H. Myers wrote:
>
>> Jonathan Wheeler wrote:

<snip>

>>> On the one hand, that's greater then 1 disk's worth, so I'm getting
>>> striping performance out of a mirror GO ZFS. On the other, if I can get
>>> striping performance from mirrored reads, why is it only 94MB/sec?
>>> Seemingly it's not cpu bound.
>>

>> I expect a mirror to perform about the same as a single disk for writes, and
>> about
>> the same as two disks for reads, which seems to be the case here.  Someone
>> from
>> the ZFS team can correct me, but I tend to believe that reads from a mirror
>> are
>> scheduled in pairs; it doesn't help the read performance to have 6 more
>> copies of
>> the same data available.

Makes sense, thanks Dana.

> Is this an 8-way mirror, or a 4x2 RAID-1+0?  For the former, I agree with
> Dana.

Yup, a full 8 way mirror.

> For the latter, you should get more available space and better performance.
> 8-way mirror:
>     zpool create blah mirror c1d0 c1d1 c1d2 c1d3 c1d4 c1d5 c1d6 c1d7
> 4x2-way mirror:
>     zpool create blag mirror c1d0 c1d1 mirror c1d2 c1d3 mirror c1d4 c1d5
> mirror c1d6 c1d7

I agree, the it would be a win both ways. Though in my own defence I never
intended to run a full 8 way mirror for actual use - it was just a fun test to
see what would happen, or that the results might help point towards a
bottleneck that wasn't so obvious with the other raid levels.

Thanks,
Jonathan Wheeler