Al Hopper schrieb:
On Tue, 18 Jul 2006, Daniel Rock wrote:
I think this type of calculation is flawed. Disk failures are rare and
multiple disk failures at the same time are even more rare.

Stop right here! :)  If you have a large number of identical disks which
operate in the same environment[1], and possibly the same enclosure, it's
quite likely that you'll see 2 or more disks die within the same,
relatively short, timeframe.

Not my experience. I work and have worked with several disk arrays (EMC, IBM, Sun, etc.) and the failure rates of individual disks were fairly random.

Also, with todays higher density disk enclosures, a fan failure, which
goes un-noticed for a period of time, is likely to affect more than one
drive - again leading to multiple disks failing in the same general
timeframe.

Then make sure not more than 2 disks of the same raidz2 pack are in the same airflow path (or equivalent for RAID-1).

Daniel