Hi there,

Customer has some questions regarding ZFS compression.

- What is the compression algorithm used?

- How much space saving, ballpark?
(I said it depends on the data but customer still wants to know if we have stats.)

- Is there a ZFS feature that will output the real uncompressed size of the data? The scenario is if they had to move a compressed ZFS filesystem back to UFS, say. 'ls' will give the file's real uncompressed size, but customer had rather not write a script to sum everything up.

- Is there a Best-Practice for when and when not to turn on compression? I read somewhere, I forget where, that compression should be used primarily to save space, but is there a good balance to be struck between giving up a few CPU cycles to gain more disk space?

- Compressed files have a -T bit set, I looked this up, docs say this has no meaning, but does it have special meaning to ZFS?

- Customer wants to do a diff between snapshots. Is there an RFE already filed?

_ Customer would like benchmarking numbers. I think there is a blog item but do we have something more "official"?

Thanks very much.

CT