On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 11:46:30AM -0700, Richard Elling wrote:
> >>I'm don't have visibility of the Explorer development sites at the
> >>moment, but I believe that the last publicly available Explorer I
> >>looked at (v5.4) still didn't gather any ZFS related info, which would
> >>scare me mightily for a FS released in a production-grade Solaris 10
> >>release ... how do we expect our support personnel to engage??
>
> Timing is everything :-)
> http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-6612

Timing is indeed everything - and it's the reason we didn't have ZFS
support until now.

The Explorer team has been following ZFS for over 2 years (CR 5074463
to add support was created 17 July 2004!), but made the decision long
ago that we would wait until we were sure exactly what we should be
doing in Explorer before we actually added the relevant support.

As it turned out, this was a good thing - I don't think there's a single
command that was originally listed in the CR that still exists due to
the changes that occured as ZFS matured to the point of release.

Explorer 5.5 is the first release since Solaris 10 6/06, and thus the one
we ended up adding ZFS support into.  It also has a few other new features,
including the ability to automatically transfer an Explorer to Sun over
HTTPS.

  Scott.