Certainly sounds intriguing.  From a ZFS standpoint, the easiest way to
do this would be to take a snapshot on every txg - not sure how one
would do it in a non-COW filesystem without inducing unacceptable
overhead.  This is an expansion of the 'user undo' functionality that's
been discussed before, as it covers changes to a file, as opposed to
just deleting it outright.

The hard part (besides the underlying filesystem implementation) is to
how to administer this space.  If I fill up my hard drive, does it start
to take away from my backup space?  Do I just set a backup size?  Is it
per-folder or per-filesystem?  Do I have control over the behavior once
the backup is full?  And for non-GUI users, how does one access these
other versions, and know how much space they're taking up?

It also sounds like there is some higher level integration with their
apps.  For example, they describe dragging "backwards through time" in
iPhoto.  This needs some clear hooks to iPhoto so it knows when to
refresh the visual content, etc.  I doubt they actually rollback the
whole filesystem - it's much more likely that they have hooks in the
critical apps which know how to look for their "alternate" copie

Hopefully we'll hear some more details about how this is implemented, as
well as how they deal with the out-of-space edge conditions.

- Eric

Eric Schrock, Solaris Kernel Development       http://blogs.sun.com/eschrock