Hello Dave,

Thursday, August 10, 2006, 12:29:05 AM, you wrote:

DF> Hi,

DF> Note that these are page cache rates and that if the application
DF> pushes harder and exposes the supporting device rates there is
DF> another world of performance to be observed. This is where ZFS
DF> gets to be a challenge as the relationship between the application
DF> level I/O and the pool level is very hard to predict. For example
DF> the COW may or may not have to read old data for a small I/O
DF> update operation, and a large portion of the pool vdev capability
DF> can be spent on this kind of overhead.  Also, on read, if the
DF> pattern is random, you may or may not receive any benefit from the
DF> 32 KB to 128 KB reads on each disk of the pool vdev on behalf of a
DF> small read, say 8 KB by the application, again lots of overhead
DF> potential. I am not complaining, ZFS is great, I’m a fan, but you
DF> definitely have your work cut out for you if you want to predict
DF> its ability to scale for any given workload.

I know, you have valid concerns.

However in a tests I performed ZFS behaved better than UFS and it was
most important for me.

Does it mean that it will behave (performance) better than UFS in a
production? Well, I don't know - but thanks to these tests (and some
others I haven't posted) I'm more confident that it's likely it will
not behave worse. And this is only performance point of view, there
are others also important.

ps. however I'm really concerned with ZFS behavior when a pool is
almost full, there're lot of write transactions to that pool and
server is restarted forcibly or panics. I observed that file systems
on that pool will mount in 10-30 minutes each during zfs mount -a, and
one CPU is completely consumed. It's during system start-up so basically
whole system boots waits for it. It means additional 1 hour downtime.
This is something really unexpected for me and unfortunately no one
was really interested in my report - I know people are busy. But still
if it hits other users when zfs pools will be already populated people
won't be happy. For more details see my post here with subject: "zfs
mount stuck in zil_replay".

--
Best regards,
 Robert                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]