On 8/15/06, Peter Bortas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 8/15/06, David Dyer-Bennet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 8/15/06, Richard Elling - PAE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > This can be configured with the local mail delivery agent.  You could even
> > put incoming mail in someone's $HOME, however that isn't always a good idea.
>
> I've run across systems that don't deliver into $HOME, and it always
> ends up leading to trouble (running out of disk).  Why do people set
> systems up that way?

Because it leads to LESS trouble than putting it in $HOME. $HOME could
be on separate servers for diffrent user groups and/or it could be on
a server(s) that is less stable than the mailhost.

My experience is very much "more trouble".  For example, having the
mailhost up while the home directories are down just confuses people,
and doens't provide any useful service.  The server $HOME is on
shouldn't matter to much of anything.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>