On 8/16/06, Frank Cusack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On August 16, 2006 10:34:31 AM -0700 Joe Little <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 8/16/06, Frank Cusack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On August 16, 2006 10:25:18 AM -0700 Joe Little <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > Is there a way to allow simple export commands the traverse multiple
>> > ZFS filesystems for exporting? I'd hate to have to have hundreds of
>> > mounts required for every point in a given tree (we have users,
>> > projects, src, etc)
>>
>> Set the sharenfs property on the filesystems and use the automounter
>> on the client.
>>

> Damn. We are hoping to move away from automounters and maintenance of
> such (we use NeoPath, for example, for virtual aggregation of the
> paths).

I don't know what NeoPath is but automounts are trivial or at least
easy to maintain even for very large sites.  You are using path wildcards
and DNS aliases, yes?

used to.. running away quickly. For different *nix flavors, pick one
of autofs, automountd, etc.. Nohide support, no nohide support,
netgroups, LDAP, it all gets ugly pretty quickly. We want to move to
statically definied mount trees similar to AFS managed centrally for
all using NFS as the common protocol (aka the NeoPath)

> In the NAS world, sometimes automounts are not available. So,
> if this is true, you'll likely need to count me as one of those people
> who says we can't make a filesystem per user, and give us user quotas
> now please :)

I don't understand.  If an automount is not available, how is that
different than the nfs server itself not being available.  Or do you
mean some clients do not have an automounter.

Some clients don't have automounters available. Also some servers:
Example is gateways/proxys (think SMB proxy w/o automounter support).

Other clients in heavy use require lots of changes to get what you
propose, such as OSX's automounter (storing the results in NetInfo)

-frank