Tabriz Leman wrote:

Torrey McMahon wrote:

Lori Alt wrote:

No, zfs boot will be supported on both x86 and sparc.  Sparc's
OBP, and various x86 BIOS's both have restrictions on the devices
that can be accessed at boot time, so we need to limit the
devices in a root pool on both architectures.

Hi Lori.

Can you expand a bit on the above? What sort of limitations are you referring too? (Boot time? Topology?)

I think what Lori is referring to here is that we need to limit the rootpool to BIOS/OBP visible devices; not all devices are visible from the BIOS/OBP (fibre channel devices, for example).

Actually, OBP and BIOS should have access to fabric devices. I know OBP does and I've seen docs that mention BIOS does. (Look in the x86 fabric boot docs for example)

I think the problem is more around, as Lori mentioned in her email, the ability to traverse a ZFS pool when the ZFS drivers haven't been loaded.