On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 07:21:52PM -0700, Frank Cusack wrote:
> On August 19, 2006 7:06:06 PM -0700 Matthew Ahrens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >My guess is that the filesystem is not mounted.  It should be remounted
> >after the 'zfs recv', but perhaps that is not happening correctly.  You
> >can see if it's mounted by running 'df' or 'zfs list -o name,mounted'.
>
> You are right, it's not mounted.
>
> >Did the 'zfs recv' print any error messages?
>
> nope.
>
> > Are you able to reproduce this behavior?
>
> easily.

Hmm, I think there must be something special about your filesystems or
configuration; I'm not able to reproduce it.  One possible cause for
trouble is if you are doing the 'zfs receive' into a filesystem which
has descendent filesystems (eg, you are doing 'zfs recv pool/[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
and pool/fs/child exists).  This isn't handled correctly now, but you
should get an error message in that case.  (This will be fixed by some
changes Noel is going to putback next week.)

Could you send me the output of 'truss zfs recv ...', and 'zfs list' and
'zfs get -r all <pool>' on both the source and destination systems?

> ah ok.  Note that if I do zfs send; zfs send -i on the "local side", then
> do zfs list; zfs mount -a on the "remote side", I still show space used
> in the @7.1 snapshot, even though I didn't touch anything.  I guess mounting
> accesses the mount point and updates the atime.

Hmm, maybe.  I'm not sure if that's exactly what's happening, because
mounting and unmounting a filesystem doesn't seem to update the atime
for me.  Does the @7.1 snapshot show used space before you do the 'zfs
mount -a'?

> On the "local" side, how come after I take the 7.1 snapshot and then 'ls',
> the 7.1 snapshot doesn't start using up space?  Shouldn't my ls of the
> mountpoint update the atime also?

I believe what's happening here is that although we update the in-core
atime, we sometimes defer pushing it to disk.  You can force the atime
to be pushed to disk by unmounting the filesystem.

--matt