Mike Gerdts wrote:
not an expert, but most if not all compression is  integer based, and
I don't think floating point is supported inside the kernel anyway so
it has to be integer based.

Not too long ago Roch said "compression runs in the context of a
single thread per
pool", which makes me worry much more about the speed of a single core
doing all of the compression for a pool.

I haven't done measurements of this in years, but...
I'll wager that compression is memory bound, not CPU bound, for today's
servers.  A system with low latency and high bandwidth memory will perform
well (UltraSPARC-T1).  Threading may not help much on systems with a single
memory interface, but should help some on systems with multiple memory
interfaces (UltraSPARC-*, Opteron, Athlon FX, etc.)
 -- richard