On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 07:07:45AM -0700, Joe Little wrote:
> We finally flipped the switch on one of our ZFS-based servers, with
> approximately 1TB of 2.8TB (3 stripes of 950MB or so, each of which is
> a RAID5 volume on the adaptec card). We have snapshots every 4 hours
> for the first few days. If you add up the snapshot references it
> appears somewhat high versus daily use (mostly mail boxes, spam, etc
> changing), but say an aggregate of no more than 400+MB a day.
>
> However, zfs list shows our daily pool as a whole, and per day we are
> growing by .01TB, or more specifically 80GB a day. That's a far cry
> different than the 400MB we can account for. Is it possible that
> metadata/ditto blocks, or the like is trully growing that rapidly. By
> our calculations, we will triple our disk space (sitting still) in 6
> months and use up the remaining 1.7TB. Of course, this is only with
> 2-3 days of churn, but its an alarming rate where before on the NetApp
> we didn't see anything close to this rate.

How are you calculating this 400MB/day figure?  Keep in mind that space
"used" by each snapshot is the amount of space unique to that snapshot.
Adding up the space "used" by all your snapshots is *not* the amount of
space that they are all taking up cumulatively.  For leaf filesystems
(those with no descendents), you can calculate the space used by
all snapshots as (fs's "used" - fs's "referenced").

How many filesystems do you have?  Can you send me the output of 'zfs
list' and 'zfs get -r all <pool>'?

How much space did you expect to be using, and what data is that based
on?  Are you sure you aren't writing 80GB/day to your pool?

--matt