Roch wrote:
Matthew Ahrens writes:
 > Robert Milkowski wrote:
 > > IIRC unmounting ZFS file system won't flush its caches - you've got to
 > > export entire pool.
> > That's correct. And I did ensure that the data was not cached before > each of my tests.

Matt  ?

It seems to me  that (at  least  in the past) unmount  would
actually cause   the data to  not be  accessible (read would
issue an I/O) even if potentially the associated memory with
previous cached data was not quite reaped back to the OS.

Looks like you're right, we do (mostly) evict the data when a filesystem is unmounted. The exception is if some of its cached data is being shared with another filesystem (eg, via a clone fs), then that data will not be evicted.

--matt