No, there is no documentation for libzfs.  Your only bet is to look at
the opensolaris source and see how its being used.  It's a
consolidation-private library, so it's not intended for public use.
That being said, if you're willing to go through some growing pains on
upgrade/patch, you're welcome to use it.

For Solaris 10 updates, you're going to run into problems because the
interfaces are different between the two solaris versions.  Since the
S10 source isn't open, it's hard to tell what interface changes have
been backported or not.

For versions of libzfs with libzfs_init(), you need to do (checking for
NULL in each case):

        libzfs_handle_t *hdl = libzfs_init();
        zpool_handle_t *zhp = zpool_open(hdl, "poolname");
        nvlist_t *stats = zpool_get_stats(zhp);

You'll have to pick apart the nvlist contents on your own.  For versions
of libzfs prior to libzfs_init(), you do:

        zpool_handle_t *zhp = zpool_open("poolname");
        nvlist_t *stats = zpool_get_stats(zhp);

Hope that helps.  For figuring this stuff out, the source is your
friend ;-)

- Eric