Hello Mark,

Thursday, September 7, 2006, 12:32:32 AM, you wrote:

MM> Robert Milkowski wrote:

>>> Well, that explains half your problem... and maybe all of it:
>>

>> After I reduced vdev prefetch from 64K to 8K for last few hours system
>> is working properly without workaround and free memory stays at about 1GB.
>>
>> Reducing vdev prefetch to 8K alse reduced read thruoutput 10x.
>>
>> I belive this is somehow related - maybe vdev cache was so aggressive (I
>> got 40-100MB/s of reads) and consuming memory so fast that thread which
>> is supposed to regain some memory couldn't keep up?

MM> I suppose, although the data volume doesn't seem that high... maybe you
MM> are just operating at the hairy edge here.  Anyway, I have filed a bug
MM> to track this issue:

MM> 6467963 do_dnlc_reduce_cache() can be blocked by ZFS_OBJ_HOLD_ENTER()

Well, it was working so far and then in less than 5 minutes free
memory went to "0" and system was unresponsive I couldn't log in.

So I guess exporting/importing pool and in addition lowering vdev
prefetch to 8K is needed here. Hope it will stay longer that way.

:(

--
Best regards,
 Robert                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]