On Sep 8, 2006, at 9:33, Richard Elling - PAE wrote:
I was looking for a new AM2 socket motherboard a few weeks ago. All of the ones I looked at had 2xIDE and 4xSATA with onboard (SATA) RAID. All were less than $150. In other words, the days of having a JBOD-only solution are over except for single
disk systems.  4x750 GBytes is a *lot* of data (and video).

It's not clear to me that JBOD is dead. The (S)ATA RAID cards I've seen are really software RAID solutions that know just enough in the controller to let the BIOS boot off a RAID volume. None of the expensive RAID stuff is in the controller.

        --Ed