>And if we are still writing to the file systems at that time ?

New writes should be done according to the new state (if encryption is being
enabled, all new writes are encrypted), since the goal is that eventually the
whole disk will be in the new state.

The completion percentage should probably reflect the existing data at the time
that the state change is initiated, since new writes won't affect how much data
has to be replaced.

>Maybe this really does need to be done with the file system locked.

I don't see any technical reason to require that, and users expect better from
us these days.  :-)

As you point out, checksum & compression will have the same issue once we have
on-line changes for those as well. The framework ought to take care of this.