Richard Elling wrote:
Frank Cusack wrote:
It would be interesting to have a zfs enabled HBA to offload the checksum
and parity calculations.  How much of zfs would such an HBA have to
understand?
[warning: chum]
Disagree.  HBAs are pretty wimpy.  It is much less expensive and more
efficient to move that (flexible!) function into the main CPUs.

I think Richard is in the groove here. All the hba chip
implementation documentation that I've seen (publicly
available of course) indicates that these chips are
already highly optimized engines, and I don't think that
adding extra functionality like checksum and parity
calculations would be an efficient use of silicon/SoI.

cheers,
James