eric kustarz wrote:

I want per pool, per dataset, and per file - where all are done by the filesystem (ZFS), not the application. I was talking about a further enhancement to "copies" than what Matt is currently proposing - per file "copies", but its more work (one thing being we don't have administrative control over files per se).

Now if you could do that and make it something that can be set at install time it would get a lot more interesting. When you install Solaris to that single laptop drive you can select files or even directories that have more then one copy in case of a problem down the road.