Hello everyone, I just wanted to play with zfs just a bit before I start using it at my workplace on servers so I did set it up on my Solaris 10 U2 box. I used to have all my disks mounted as UFS and everything was fine. I had my /etc/vfstab as such:
#
fd                 -                   /dev/fd   fd     -       no      -
/proc              -                   /proc     proc   -       no      -
/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s1  -                   -         swap   -       no      -
/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0  /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0  /         ufs    1       no      logging
/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s6  /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s6  /usr      ufs    1       no      logging
/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s5  /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s5  /var      ufs    1       no      logging
/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s7  /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s7  /d/d1     ufs    2       yes     logging
/devices   -   /devices  devfs  -       no      -
ctfs       -   /system/contract        ctfs    -       no      -
objfs      -   /system/object  objfs   -       no      -
swap       -   /tmp    tmpfs   -       yes     -
/dev/dsk/c1t1d0s7  /dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s7  /d/d2   ufs     2       yes     logging
/d/d2/downloads     -  /d/d2/web/htdocs/downloads  lofs    2       yes     -
/d/d1/home/cw/pics  -  /d/d2/web/htdocs/pics       lofs    2       yes     -

So I decided to put /d/d2 drive on zfs, created my pool, then did create zfs an dmounted it under /d/d2 while I did copy content od /d/d2 to my new zfs and then removed it from vfstab file.

Ok, so now line where is does say:
/dev/dsk/c1t1d0s7  /dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s7  /d/d2   ufs     2       yes     logging
is commented out from my vfstab file. I rebooted my system just to get all my things started as I wanted (well I did bring all webservers and everything else down for the duration of copy so that nothing was accessing /d/d2 drive).

So my system is booting up and I cannot login. aparently my service:
svc:/system/filesystem/local:default went into maitenance mode... somehow system could not mount those two items from vfstab:
/d/d2/downloads     -  /d/d2/web/htdocs/downloads  lofs    2       yes     -
/d/d1/home/cw/pics  -  /d/d2/web/htdocs/pics       lofs    2       yes     -
I could not login and do anything, had to login trough console put my service
svc:/system/filesystem/local:default out of maitenance mode, clear maitenance state and all my services started to get going and system was no longer in single user mode...

That sucks a bit since how can I mount both UFS drives, then mount zfs and then get lofs mountpoints after?

Also if certain dysks did not mount I used to go to /etc/vfstab and was able to see what was going on, now since zfs does not use vfstab how can I know what was mounted or not before system went down? Sometimes drives go bad, sometimes certain dysks are commented out in vfstab such as backup disks, with zfs it is controlled trough command line, what if I do not want to boot something at boot time? How can I distinguish what suppose to be mounted at boot and whats not uzing zfs list? is there a config file that I can just comment out few lines and be able to mount them at other times other than boot?

Thanks for suggestions... and sorry if this is wrong group to post such question since this is not a question about opensolaris but zfs on Solaris 10 Update 2.

Chris