On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 02:20:24PM -0400, Torrey McMahon wrote:

> 1 - ZFS is self consistent but if you take a LUN snapshot then any
> transactions in flight might not be completed and the pool - Which you
> need to snap in its entirety - might not be consistent. The more LUNs
> you have in the pool the more problematic this could get. Exporting the
> pool first would probably get around this issue.

This isn't true.  The snapshot will be entirely consistent - you will
have just lost the last few seconds of non-synchronous writes.

> 2 - If you import LUNs with the same label or ID as a currently mounted
> pool then ZFS will .... no one seems to know. For example: I have a pool
> on two LUNS X and Y called mypool. I take a snapshot of LUN X & Y,
> ignoring issue #1 above for now, to LUN X' and LUN Y' and wait a few
> days. I then present LUNs X' and Y' to the host. What happens? Make it
> even more complex and present all the LUNs to the host after a reboot.
> Do you get different parts of the pool from different LUNs? Does ZFS
> say, "What the hell?!??!"

ZFS will not allow you to import the second pool (I believe it won't
even present the pool as a valid option to import).  Each pool is
identified by a unique GUID.  You cannot have two pools active on the
system with the same GUID.  If this is really a valid use case, we could
invent a way to assign a new GUID on import.

- Eric

--
Eric Schrock, Solaris Kernel Development       http://blogs.sun.com/eschrock